One of the goals of the Murray PTA is to connect families with the school and inform parents of the many enrichment opportunities available through the PTA. We communicate primarily through email; if you would like to be added to the PTA email distribution list or have any problems receiving PTA emails, please contact the Communications Team (email@example.com).
May 2020 PTA General Meeting
On Friday, May 29th the Murray Avenue PTA held their Spring general meeting. Dr. Melnyk and Mr. Porricelli spoke about distant learning, what’s happening at Murray, and answered questions parents had.
Use the Zoom link to watch and enter the password: 7F#AF@$6
January 2020 PTA General Meeting and Literacy Presentation
On Friday, January 24th, the General PTA Meeting was held. The PTA was joined by Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction Annie Ward and the Elementary Literacy Team (Laurie Pastore, literacy coach; Maggie Hoddinott, literacy ambassador, and Suzanne Carroll, Response to Intervention coordinator) to learn more about the District's innovative approach to reading instruction and how you can support your child(ren)'s reading journey(s) at home.
Kindergarten Parent Coffee
On Thursday, October 31st Principal Melnyk, Ms. Bruno, and Ms. Opas spoke about child development and had an informative discussion regarding all things Kindergarten.
2nd Grade Parent Coffee
On Friday, October 25th Ms. Vieira and Ms. Goldenberg met with 2nd grade families to discuss the new science curriculum, reading, writing, and the home school connection. Please find the audio recording of this conversation below.
3rd Grade Parent Coffee
On Friday, October 18th Colleen Melnyk along with Lorraine MaGee and Alexis Pirone, spoke with parents about what to expect in 3rd grade from both a curriculum point of view and independent growth. You can listen to the audio and view the presentation
4th Grade Parent Coffee
On Friday, October 11th Colleen Melnyk along with Karen Harris and Mari Lipton, spoke with parents about what to expect in 4th grade from both a curriculum point of view and independent growth.
5th Grade Parent Coffee
On Friday, October 4th Mr. Zenie spoke with 5th grade parents regarding the health curriculum. You can listen to the recording below:
He was followed by Ms. Elkins and Mr. Rivel who spoke about the 5th grade curriculum, how they are beginning to prepare students for Hommocks, and what to expect this year. You can download the 5th Grade Parent Coffee Presentation and listen to the recording below:
September 2019 PTA General Meeting
On September 27th the PTA held its first general meeting of the school year. Colleen Melnyk and Matt Porricelli discussed their vision for the school year, followed by a conversation with our District Elementary Literacy Coach, Laurie Pastore, regarding writing development. Please find the audio recording below and the accompanying presentation The Developing Writer K-5.
Grade Level Coffees
This fall (2018), the PTA was pleased to host Grade Level Coffees for each grade and hear from faculty and administrators on grade specific issues. Below you will find notes from each grade level coffee as well as any available supporting short video clips. The PTA is deeply appreciative of the time and effort our faculty and administrators dedicated to these coffees and the PTA hopes to do these coffees annually as attendees found them to be extremely helpful.
- Kindergarten: Oct 31, 2018 Fall Kindergarten Coffee 18_19
- First Grade: Nov 2, 2018 1st Grade Coffee Notes 18-19
- Listen to Ms. DeLaurentis speak about the first grade reading journey and how the students go from learning to read to reading to learn.
- Listen to Ms. McShea and Ms. DeLaurentis speak about how to model good read aloud skills for your children and help them to become fluent readers.
- Listen to Ms. McShea and Ms. DeLaurentis speak about the importance of the home/school connection and ways parents can strengthen it.
- Second Grade: Oct 26, 2018 2nd Grade Coffee Notes-2
- Listen to Ms. Goldenberg explain an actual science unit
- Listen to Ms. Vieria give an overview of our new science curriculum
- Listen to Ms. Vieria discuss the transition of second graders becoming readers
- Listen to Ms. Goldenberg how second graders will fully explore the texts they are reading
- Listen to Ms. Vieria and Ms. Goldenberg discuss the importance of the home/school partnership
- Third Grade: Oct 19, 2018 3rd Grade Parent Coffee Notes
- Listen to Ms. Alexander and Ms. Grippo discuss how the third grade team ties our garden into the science curriculum
- Listen to how the third grade faculty embed preparedness for state testing into the curriculum
- Listen to how the third grade faculty is preparing third graders for their first state testing
- Fourth Grade: Oct 12, 2018 4th Grade Coffee Notes
- Fifth Grade: Oct 5, 2018 5th Grade Coffee Notes - 18-19
Laurie Pastore/Literacy Presentation
District literacy coach, Laurie Pastore, gave a very informative presentation on Literacy and the Word Study approach. This workshop (aimed at parents of children in grades K-3) covered the district's approach in three key areas in the elementary curricula: reading, writing and word study. K-2 word study in Mamaroneck provides Murray students with an important foundation in phonemic awareness and phonics, and helps children learn how to spell and read new words. Third grade word study adds grammar, syntax and convention to the learning progression. The workshop introduced parents to the word study approach and offered tips for supporting children at home. Click Here for a copy of her handouts. A video of her presentation will be posted soon.
- Tiger Talk is the PTA's weekly newsletter, distributed by email on Sunday evenings. To sign up, email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be added to the list.
- Murray Minutes are time sensitive emails that the PTA needs to bring to your immediate attention.
- We're on Facebook. Like us for up-to-date info and reminders.